1. The first organized stock market in New York was founded on Wall Street under what kind of tree?
2. Who invented the 401(k)?
b. Ted Benna
c. The IRS
d. Juanita Kreps
3. Which three U.S. bills together account for 81% of the paper currency in circulation?
a. $1, $20, $100
b. $1, $5, $20
c. $1, $10, $20
d. $1, $10, $100
4. Small businesses comprise what percentage of U.S. businesses?
a. More than 39%
b. More than 59%
c. More than 79%
d. More than 99%
5. Which U.S. president signed Medicare into law?
a. President John F. Kennedy
b. President Lyndon B. Johnson
c. President Richard M. Nixon
d. President George W. Bush
- c. Buttonwood.On May 17, 1792, 24 New York City stockbrokers and merchants met under a buttonwood tree outside of what is now 68 Wall Street. Their two-sentence brokers’ agreement is known as the Buttonwood Agreement.1
- b. Ted Benna.A 401(k) is a tax-deferred, employer-sponsored retirement savings plan. Although the name comes from Section 401(k) of the Internal Revenue Code, this type of retirement savings plan was created by Ted Benna in 1979. At the time, he was a co-owner of The Johnson Companies, a small benefits consulting firm.2
- a. $1, $20, $100.The $1 bill represents about 29% of the total paper currency in circulation. The $20 bill represents about 22%, and the $100 bill represents about 30%.3
- d. More than 99%.Despite their size, small businesses are a big part of the U.S. economy. According to the U.S. Small Business Administration, small businesses (independent businesses with fewer than 500 employees) comprise 99.9% of all firms and account for 62% of net new jobs.4
- b. President Lyndon B. Johnson.President Kennedy recommended creating a national health insurance program in 1961, but it was President Johnson who signed the Medicare bill into law on July 30, 1965. President Nixon extended Medicare eligibility to certain people under age 65 in 1972, and President Bush expanded Medicare to include prescription drug benefits in 2003.5
3 Federal Reserve, Currency in Circulation: Volume, December 2017
4 U.S. Small Business Administration, August 2017
5 Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
ERB FINANCIAL is an independent contractor who offers Investment Advisory Services & Securities through Excel Securities & Assoc., Inc. member FINRA, SIPC, 200 Canal View Blvd., Rochester NY 14623, 585-424-1234.Broadridge Investor Communication Solutions, Inc. does not provide investment, tax, or legal advice. The information presented here is not specific to any individual’s personal circumstances.To the extent that this material concerns tax matters, it is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, by a taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed by law. Each taxpayer should seek independent advice from a tax professional based on his or her individual circumstances.These materials are provided for general information and educational purposes based upon publicly available information from sources believed to be reliable—we cannot assure the accuracy or completeness of these materials. The information in these materials may change at any time and without notice.This communication is strictly intended for individuals residing in the state(s) of NY. No offers may be made or accepted from any resident outside the specific states referenced.
|Prepared by Broadridge Investor Communication Solutions, Inc. Copyright 2018.|